Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us

Workers Compensation: An Employee Guide

Employee Guide to Workers' Compensation

Information for Injured or Ill Employees

Work Injury or Illness Reporting

  • You are responsible for notifying your supervisor of your injury or illness immediately and keeping them informed of your medical status if you must be off work.
  • Within 24 hours of the work injury or illness, the First Report of Injury Form (FROI) must be completed via the link provided. Your supervisor should complete the form so be sure to provide them with accurate information about the injury or illness.
  • After the FROI is submitted, UNI’s third party administrator, Sedgwick, will contact you with additional questions regarding your claim as part of their review and acceptance process.
    • UNI does not determine whether a claim is accepted or denied for workers’ compensation benefits.

Medical Treatment

  • For medical care related to your work injury or illness, you should be evaluated by Occupational Health at Bluebell Road Health Plaza in Cedar Falls.
    • Pre-authorization is required to be seen at Occupational Health and they will need to be informed that treatment is being paid for by UNI.
    • Your supervisor should complete the Pre-authorization Form and send it with you to Occupational Health.
    • The temporary first fill information is intended to fill the gap between when the FROI is submitted until the injured employee receives their own prescription card from Sedgwick specific to their workers' compensation claim.
    • Alternately, your supervisor may call Occupational Health at 319-575-5600 to pre-authorize your visit.
    • You should not be treated by your own physician or another hospital unless it is an extreme emergency.
  • After hours or weekend treatment locations:

    • Cedar Falls Emergency Care


      515 College Street, Cedar Falls

    • Waterloo Emergency Care


      3421 W. 9th Street, Waterloo

    • Bluebell Road Urgent Care


      226 Bluebell Road, Cedar Falls

      Monday - Friday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

      Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

    • Waterloo Urgent Care


      2710 St. Francis Dr. Suite 111, Waterloo

      Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm

      Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

  • If medication is prescribed by the occupational health provider, you should follow the instructions on the Occupational Injury Temporary Prescription ID Card document.
    • This prescription ID card may be used immediately following an injury while a FROI is being filed and the workers' compensation claim set up with Sedgwick.
  • You will receive an information packet from Sedgwick that will contain your claim number and a prescription ID card that should replace the temporary prescription ID card.
    • Be sure to give this information to any medical provider and pharmacy involved with the treatment for your work injury or illness so they may bill for services accurately.
  • Sedgwick directs and approves all medical treatment and referrals related to your claim.

Missed Work Time and Timecard Coding

  • Work missed on the day of injury or illness should be coded as regular work hours on your timecard.
  • Work missed after the day of injury or illness (including treatment appointments) should be coded as Work Comp (Sick/Injury) on your timecard. This will come out of your available sick leave accruals.
    • There is a three (3) day waiting period for work comp benefits following the date of injury or illness. Contact Human Resource Services (HRS) if you are missing work.
  • If you are off work for more than three (3) calendar days by orders of the occupational health provider or if we are unable to accommodate your work restrictions, Sedgwick will determine if you are eligible for additional work comp benefits. HRS will send you the work comp benefits election form to complete.
    • You need to choose if you want to supplement work comp benefits with paid leave accruals.
    • If you choose not to supplement with leave accruals, you will only receive work comp payments and will not receive a paycheck from UNI.
    • If you are not receiving pay from UNI, you will be placed in unpaid status and will not earn paid leave accruals. Other UNI benefits may also be affected.
  • If you are eligible for FMLA leave entitlement, absences from work related to your work comp claim will run concurrently against your 12 weeks of FMLA leave for the calendar year.

Contact Information

  • MercyOne Bluebell Road Occupational Health


    226 Bluebell Road, Cedar Falls

    Monday - Friday: 7:00 am - 5:30 pm

  • Sedgwick

    Third Party Administrator


    Lexington, KY 40512

  • Human Resource Services (HRS)


  • myMatrixx


    Parmacy Billing Manager

Jump to Top