I am Experiencing a Life Event
Information and Support for Faculty and Staff
After enrolling in benefits, your benefit elections remain in effect until the end of the plan year, which is the current calendar year. You will not be able to make any changes to your benefits until the next Open Enrollment period unless you experience a qualified life event. In most cases, unless otherwise noted, you have 30 days from the date of the event to make a change to your benefits.
Health and dental premiums are withheld from your pay as a pre-tax deduction, which reduces your taxable income and the amount of taxes you pay at the time of payroll. This is a default selection by the university.
If you would like to opt out of the pre-tax premium option, please complete the After-Tax Premium Option form and submit to the Human Resource Services Office.
The following is a list of qualifying life events that may enable you to change your benefit elections, as well as guidance of what other steps might be helpful when having such an event.
What I Need to Do When...
- I am Turning 65
- My Spouse is Turning 65
- I Need to Take a Leave of Absence
- I am Having a Baby
- I am Adopting a Child
- I am Getting Married, Declaring a Domestic Partnership or Common Law Union
- I am Getting Divorced or Dissolving My Domestic Partnership
- My Spouse or Dependent is Changing or Losing Coverage
- My Dependent Care Costs Change
- My Child is Turning 26 or Graduating College
- A UNI Employee Passes Away
- A Spouse or Dependent Passes Away
- I am Moving Out of the Plan Area
- During Open Enrollment
- I Have a Change in Employment Status
- I Need an Insurance Card Now
UNI Employee Benefits Self-Service
Benefits Self-Service System is designed to help you enroll, make changes, and view your current benefit elections all in one location. For additional support, visit the Benefits Self-Service Help site.