Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us

Workers' Compensation: A Supervisor Guide

Supervisor Guide to Workers' Compensation

Information for Supervisors regarding the work comp process

If an employee sustains a workplace injury or illness, it is imperative that the correct procedures are followed to ensure appropriate treatment is received and that the claim is processed in a timely manner. Please review the information below and refer to the Supervisor Checklist to assist with facilitating the workers' compensation process.

Reporting and Medical Treatment

Within 24 hours of the work injury or illness, the First Report of Injury Form (FROI) must be completed. The password to access the form is: froi

  • If the injury or illness requires immediate medical attention, UNI has established a relationship with MercyOne Occupational Health to provide treatment.
  • Pre-authorization is required for the employee to be seen at Occupational Health and the clinic will need to be informed that treatment is being paid for by UNI.
    • Complete the Pre-authorization Form and send it with the employee to Occupational Health; OR
    • Call Occupational Health at 319-575-5600 to provide them with the necessary employee information to pre-authorize their visit.
    • Give employee the Occupational Injury Temporary Rx ID Card prior to their visit to Occupational Health to cover costs of filling their first prescription.
  • After hours or weekend treatment locations:

    • Cedar Falls Emergency Care


      515 College Street, Cedar Falls

    • Waterloo Emergency Care


      3421 W. 9th Street, Waterloo

    • Bluebell Road Urgent Care


      226 Bluebell Road, Cedar Falls

      Monday - Friday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

      Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

    • Waterloo Urgent Care


      2710 St. Francis Dr. Suite 111, Waterloo

      Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 8:00 pm

      Saturday & Sunday: 10:00 am - 6:00 pm

Return to Work Process

  • Human Resource Services (HRS) may contact you with follow-up questions regarding the employee's injury or illness as part of Sedgwick's claim review and acceptance process.
  • If the employee returns from the occupational health provider with work restrictions, please advise HRS if you are able to accommodate the restrictions.
    • If you are able to accommodate the work restrictions, determine if the restrictions prevent the employee from being able to perform one or more of the routine functions of their job. This information is for OSHA reporting.
      • Routine functions consist of any work activity that is regularly performed at least once per week.
  • If the employee provides documentation from the medical provider(s) treating their injury or illness, please forward the information to HRS so we may add it to their medical file.

Missed Work Time and Timecard Coding

  • Employees should be paid as normal for work time missed on the day of injury or illness.
  • Work time missed due to restrictions, treatment appointments, or inability to accommodate restrictions after the day of injury or illness should be coded as Work Comp (Sick/Injury) on the employee’s timecard. This time will come out of their available sick leave accruals.
  • After three (3) days of missed work due to the injury or illness, the employee may be eligible for work comp benefit payments from Sedgwick.
  • If the employee returns to work after missing three (3) days or more but has continued medical treatment, they may code Excused Duty on their timecard for missed work time.
  • If the employee returns to work after the initial evaluation by Occupational Health but has continued medical treatment, they will code Work Comp (Sick/Injury) on their timecards for missed work time. This will continue to come out of their available sick leave accruals.
    • Once the employee misses a total of 24 hours of work for treatment of their injury or illness, they have met the waiting period for work comp benefits.
    • If continued treatment is needed after missing 24 hours of work time, it should be coded as Excused Duty on their timecards.
  • Contact HRS with any questions at or 319-273-6164.

Jump to Top