Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us

Workers' Compensation

Workers' Compensation

Information and Support for Faculty and Staff


The University is committed to maintaining a safe work environment for faculty, staff, and visitors. In the event of a workplace injury, all UNI employees are covered by Iowa Workers' Compensation which pays medical and indemnity benefits for employees injured on the job. UNI pays the entire cost of the program. Sedgwick CMS is the University's third party administrator for all workers' compensation claims.

Employees who are injured on the job should report the injury to their supervisor, no matter how minor the injury may be. The supervisor will complete the First Report of Injury Form (online form password is 'froi') within 24 hours.

Medical Treatment

  • If emergency medical treatment is necessary, 911 should be called immediately following the injury or illness. Occupational Health at Bluebell Road Health Plaza is the designated provider for non-urgent medical treatment.
  • After hour services are available for employee injury treatment at Waterloo Medical Center and Cedar Falls Medical Center emergency departments.
  • Services for work injury treatment are also available at MercyOne Urgent Care located at Waterloo Health Plaza and Bluebell Road Health Plaza.
  • Supervisors should notify Occupational Health when an employee is being seen for a work injury and that treatment will be paid by UNI. The supervisor should complete the Pre-authorization Form and send it with the employee to Occupational Health (see Supervisor Checklist). Alternately, supervisors may call Occupational Health at 319-575-5600 to pre-authorize the employee visit.
  • Medical claims should not be filed with the employee's health insurance carrier.
  • Travel for medical treatment may be reimbursed by completing the workers' compensation mileage reimbursement form online.

First Fill Prescriptions

  • myMatrixx is the Pharmacy Billing Manager (PBM) for our workers' compensation program administered by Sedgwick
  • If an injured employee is prescribed medication by the occupational health provider, they should follow the instructions on the Occupational Injury Temporary Prescription ID Card.
  • This prescription ID card may be used immediately following an injury while a First Report of Injury (FROI) is being filed and the workers' compensation claim is evaluated by Sedgwick.
  • The temporary first fill information is intended to fill the gap between when the FROI is submitted until the injured employee receives their own prescription card from Sedgwick specific to their workers' compensation claim.
  • Injured employees should bring the prescription ID card to a participating retail network pharmacy to have their prescription filled. Employees should provide their social security number to the pharmacy when the nine-digit ID number is requested.

For more detailed information regarding Iowa Code for Workers’ Compensation benefits, please visit Iowa Workers' Compensation.

Sedgwick Web-based Tools viaOne® Express

If you have an active workers' compensation claim, Sedgwick ViaOne's® suite of web-based tools allow you to conveniently access and manage your claim.

Employees that would like to create a profile and follow their claim online may do so on their computer as well. Register online at

Workers' Compensation Leave of Absence

  • Employees who are unable to return to work after a work-related injury or illness due to the occupational healthcare provider’s orders or if their restrictions cannot be accommodated, may be eligible for workers’ compensation benefits after a waiting period of three days.
  • In addition to medical treatment and mileage reimbursement, workers' compensation benefits may include weekly payments equal to approximately 66.67% of an employee's monthly income and the option to supplement their weekly payments.

Supplementing Paid Time Off

  • Choosing to supplement allows employees to use their accrued paid time off to maintain their regular monthly income. Choosing not to supplement means that they will only receive weekly workers' compensation payments and will not receive a UNI paycheck or accrue paid time off.
  • The Workers’ Compensation Leave Supplement Form should be completed to inform HRS of their choice.
  • When employees choose not to supplement or if their paid time off has been exhausted after supplementing, HRS will place the employee on workers’ compensation leave without pay (WCLWOP).

Workers' Compensation Leave without Pay

  • During WCLWOP, UNI will continue to pay the University share of the health, dental, vision, life and long term disability insurance premiums, and the employee is still responsible to pay for their portion of the health, dental, and/or vision premiums for four months (16 weeks) after being placed on medical leave without pay.
  • If an employee continues on WCLWOP beyond four months (16 weeks), the employee has the option to continue health, dental, and vision benefits, but must pay the full cost of health and dental premiums to continue the coverage.
  • Employees may choose to retain their benefits or discontinue coverage by completing the Unpaid Benefits Election form. Employees may also view their current enrollments, learn about their options, and make changes to their coverage through Benefits Self-Service.

Injury Prevention

Preventing work place injuries is critical in maintaining a safe working environment. Even in the safest working environments, injuries may still occur. Safety Stretches are encouraged three times a day to warm-up for work and help prevent injury.

The Office of Risk Management and Environmental Health and Safety provides ergonomic assessments of office spaces and equipment as needed to prevent injury. Additional safety information and resources are available on their web page.

Contact Information

Melissa Ward
Leave & Accommodations Coordinator

Frequently Asked Questions

For more FAQ’s on Iowa Code on Workers’ Compensation, please visit

  1. 1Q: What type of injuries should be reported?

    1A: All injuries or illnesses that occur while performing work for the University should be reported immediately to your supervisor. Injuries do not only need to occur on University property in order to be covered. For example, if you are injured while traveling for work, this would be covered under workers’ compensation. Your supervisor will complete a First Report of Injury which will be submitted to Sedgwick, our third party administrator for workers' compensation claims. It is best to report all incidents, even if medical treatment isn't required.

    Please note: An employee is not entitled to benefits for a preexisting injury or disease unless it is aggravated, or worsened, by employment.

  2. 2Q: Who is eligible for workers' compensation benefits?

    2A: All UNI employees are eligible, including student and temporary employees. Reporting injuries is necessary in order to be eligible for workers' compensation benefits.

  3. 3Q: Where can I go for medical treatment?

    3A: If non-emergency medical treatment is necessary, Occupational Health at Bluebell Road Health Plaza is the designated provider for UNI. After-hours services are available at Waterloo Medical Center and Cedar Falls Medical Center emergency departments. Services are also available at MercyOne Urgent Care located at Waterloo Health Plaza and Bluebell Road Health Plaza. You should inform the healthcare provider that you are being seen for a work injury that will be covered by UNI so your personal insurance is not billed. For more information, view the Occupational Health Map and Pre-Authorization document.

  4. 4Q: Who decides whether or not I can work with my restrictions?

    4A: Work restrictions are determined by the occupational health doctor with documentation provided to Human Resource Services and your supervisor. If you are not released to full duty, HRS will contact your supervisor to determine whether your work restrictions can be accommodated or if you will need to be off work due to your injury. We make every effort to return you to work as soon as feasible; however, we want employees to return to positions they can perform safely. The decision to accommodate an employee's work restrictions is made on a case-by-case basis because job duties and requirements vary for each employee.

  5. 5Q: Who should I contact if I am injured?

    5A: If an injury requires emergency medical care, 911 should be called immediately. It is important to make your supervisor aware of your injury or illness so the First Report of Injury may be completed in a timely manner. If you have any follow-up questions in regards to your claim, you may contact, or call 273-6164.

  6. 6Q: How should I code my timecard when I miss work due to my injury?

    6A: Any medical treatment sought on the day of the injury should be coded as regular work hours on your timecard. Medical treatment scheduled outside of your regular work hours does not need to be coded on your timecard.

    Timecard Codes:

    • Work Comp (Sick/Injury) - this code should be used for missed work time due to medical treatment of your injury or illness, if you are ordered off work by the occupational health provider, or if we are unable to accommodate your work restrictions. This timecard code will deduct from your sick leave accruals.
    • Excused Duty - this code should be used if you return to work, with or without restrictions, after three days of incapacity to work. A "day of incapacity to work" means eight hours of accumulated absence from work due to incapacity or due to receipt of medical treatment. If you are missing work intermittently due to medical treatment only, this code may be used after a total of 24 hours of accumulated missed work time.
    • FMLA Work Comp (Sick/Injury) - this code is used when you need to be off work for more than three days due to medical treatment or if we are unable to accommodate your work restrictions and you are also eligible for FMLA job-protected leave entitlement. You will receive notice from HRS if you should use this code, which also deducts from your sick leave.
  7. 7Q: What is the difference between Workers' Compensation, FMLA, and the ADA?
    FMLA ADA Workers' Compensation
    Job Protected Leave
    Up to 12 weeks annually. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Preference only.
    Pay During Leave
    Not required, but may substitute sick, vacation, workers' compensation, etc. Not required. Not required, except to extent provided by insurance carrier.
    Medical and Dental Insurance
    Must continue for 12 weeks. Not required. Not required, except insurance will pay for medicals connected to on-the-job injury.
    Flexible Schedule
    Intermittent leave based on medical necessity. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Light duty may be required.
    Medical Certification
    Can require per Department of Labor regulations. Can require as it relates to ability to do essential functions of job. Required per insurer.
    Notice to Employee
    Required to start clock. Not required. Not required.
    Job Transfer
    Must be allowed in foreseeable intermittent situation. Not required, but may be a reasonable accommodation. Not required, but may be related to light duty.

Jump to Top