Own Your Benefits
The following steps can be taken if you, or a covered family member, have a serious health condition and you are unsure where to start in terms of insurance and job coverage. Serious health conditions may include this criteria:
- inpatient care
- incapacity for more than three days including pre/post pregnancy
- chronic serious health conditions
- long term conditions
Your Action Steps
- If you have questions about your health care coverage, call the number on the back of your Wellmark ID.
- Talk to your supervisor as they will need to know if you need time off and/or will be missing work. They will also need to know if you have any work restrictions or accommodation needs related to your health condition. You are not required to disclose a diagnosis or other specific medical information.
- Contact Human Resource Services about taking a leave. They will help determine:
- if you need Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- paid/unpaid leave
- what paperwork needs to be completed for a leave or FMLA protection. Any medical information received in HRS will be kept confidential.
- Some health conditions may allow access to additional dental benefits through Delta Dental’s Enhanced Benefits Program.
- Talk to the Benefits Team if you have questions about what will happen to your benefits while you are on a leave.