Own Your Benefits
What to do in the Case of a Serious Health Condition
The following steps can be taken if you, or a covered family member, have a serious health condition and you are unsure where to start in terms of insurance and job coverage. Serious health conditions may include this criteria:
- inpatient care
- incapacity for more than three days including pre/post pregnancy
- chronic serious health conditions
- long term conditions
Your Action Steps
- If you have questions about your health care coverage, call the number on the back of your Wellmark ID.
- Talk to your supervisor as they will need to know if you need time off and/or will be missing work. They will also need to know if you have any work restrictions or accommodation needs related to your health condition. You are not required to disclose a diagnosis or other specific medical information.
- Contact Human Resource Services about taking a leave. They will help determine:
- if you need Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA)
- if you qualify for a paid or unpaid leave
- what paperwork needs to be completed for a leave or FMLA protection. Any medical information received in Human Resource Services will be kept confidential.
- Some health conditions may allow access to additional dental benefits through Delta Dental’s Enhanced Benefits Program.
- Talk to the Benefits Team if you have questions about what will happen to your benefits while you are on a leave.
Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services
Many of us can face challenges every day that can be stressful, overwhelming, and cause strong emotions. Visit our Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services webpage for services that may be useful to you and/or your family.