Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us

My Spouse/Dependent is Changing or Losing Coverage

My Spouse/Dependent is Changing or Losing Coverage

A Qualified Life Event - Information and Support for Faculty and Staff

A spouse or dependent gaining, changing, or losing coverage allows you to make changes to your insurance plans as it is a qualified life event.

Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance

You can make changes to your health, dental, or vision insurance within 30 calendar days of a spouse or dependent gaining or losing eligibility for insurance. You also have the option to change from one plan option to another, or change plans all together. If you do complete a midyear change in plans, any deductible amount or amount towards your maximum out-of-pocket will transfer to your new plan. Coverage will be effective the first of the month after the effective change of coverage. Any other changes to your plan must be made during the open enrollment period.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) – Health Care and Dependent Care

You can change your contributions or enroll in an FSA due to a qualifying life event. Your deductions will start the month after the election is made and you are eligible to use health care FSA contributions as of the effective date of coverage. You are able to use dependent care contributions as they accrue.

Voluntary Term Life (VTL) Insurance

Eligible employees can elect/increase/decrease or de-enroll from voluntary term life for themselves, their spouse or their children due to a spouse or dependent’s change in coverage.. The premium for VTL includes accidental death and dismemberment insurance and can be calculated for each coverage amount by viewing page four of the Group Voluntary Term Life Coverage document.


If you need to update your life insurance beneficiaries due to a qualifying life event, please use the UNI Works System.

For IPERS beneficiaries, please log into the IPERS website to update.

To update your TIAA beneficiaries, please log onto the TIAA website to update.

Verifying Dependents

Effective July 1, 2024, due to a recent audit, all employees having a qualified life event and making any changes to their family health and/or dental coverage must verify all dependent relationships by providing corresponding legal documentation.

Examples of documentation:

  1. Spouse - marriage certificate, common law spouse affidavit
  2. Domestic Partner - notarized domestic partner affidavit
  3. Child - birth certificate which includes parents names, adoption paperwork, court order, or guardianship paperwork

Since this impacts all life events, including open enrollment, we are notifying employees now so documentation can be easily provided when required. At the time of your life event, you can securely upload to UNI Works or bring into the Human Resource Office at Gilchrist 025. All documentation needs to be viewed by HRS staff, but no documentation will be retained after the initial review (i.e., if provided electronically, it will be purged). Do not send any personal documents through email as this is not secure.

Benefit Enrollment

  • When You Can Make Changes to Your Benefits

    Annual Open Enrollment

    If you do not make any changes during open enrollment your coverage selection will remain the same.

    More Info: Open Enrollment

    Qualifying Life Event

    You may also enroll, waive, or change your coverage selection based on a qualifying life event.

    More Info: Qualifying Life Event

  • How to Make Changes to Your Benefits

    UNI Works

    UNI Works is designed to help you enroll, make changes, and view your current benefit elections, dependents and beneficiaries all in one location. When logging into UNI Works, select Benefits and Pay from the Main Menu.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1Q: Can my spouse's human resources department provide a letter of the loss/gain of coverage for documentation?

    1A: Yes, as long as the document states the legal name and official date of loss/gain of coverage.

  2. 2Q: If my spouse is changing jobs, can I add them to my coverage then remove when their new coverage becomes effective?

    2A: Yes, a gain or loss of coverage is a qualified life event.

Jump to Top