Non-temporary employees must work at least 20 (50%) hours per week and have an appointment for nine (9) months or greater.
Temporary faculty must meet one of the following eligibility criteria:
- they are appointed for nine (9) months working 20 hours (50%) a week or more or;
- they are appointed for a second consecutive semester at 20 hours (50%) a week or more.
|Life Event||Coverage Starts||Days to Initiate a Change|
|New Hire||Based on your start date, coverage begins on the first day of the next month.||30 Days After the Event|
|Qualifying Employment Event||Based on the event date, coverage begins on the first day of the next month||30 Days After the Event|
|Qualifying Life Events||Based on the event date, coverage begins on the first day of the next month.||30 Days After the Event|
|Adoption, Placement for Adoption||Coverage starts as of the date on the adoption decree.||60 Days After the Event|
|Birth||Coverage starts the date the baby is born.||60 Days After the Event|
|Open Enrollment||Changes not associated with a life event must be made during the Annual Open Enrollment period. These changes will be effective on January 1 of the upcoming year.||Defined Open Enrollment Period|
|Life Event||Coverage Ends|
|Reduction in Working Hours||Coverage ends on the last day of the month the appointment is no longer eligible.|
|Separation of Employment||Coverage ends on the last day of the separation month.|
|Qualifying Life Events||Coverage ends on the last day of the month in which the qualifying event occurred.|
|Open Enrollment||If there are changes to end coverage during the Annual Open Enrollment period, coverage will end December 31 of the current year.|
Who Can Be Covered?
Coverage is available for:
- Your spouse
- Common law spouse or domestic partner
- Children to age 26;
Returning to Work
If a retiree returns and is eligible for benefits, they can either:
- Select the active employee benefits and waive retiree coverage
- Waive the active employee benefits and continue with the retiree benefits.
Once the retiree coverage is waived, the retiree cannot re-enroll in retirement coverage.
An employee can only retire from UNI once.
The university offers benefit eligible employees three options for covering vision expenses. You cannot use more than one option for the same service or purchase.
- DeltaVision® Discount Program is available to anyone who is enrolled in UNI dental insurance. The discount applies to anyone covered under your dental plan. Enrollment is automatic and there is no additional premium associated with this discount program.
- Avesis Vision Insurance Plan can be elected for single or family coverage and carries an annual premium paid by the employee.
- Blue365 is available for those who have enrolled in a UNI health plan and there is no additional cost to use. The discount applies to anyone covered under your health plan. Blue365 are discounts offered by many vendors for a wide range of products and services. You can always ask your eye doctor if they will accept a discount from Blue365.