Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us
  • My Benefits | I am Moving Out of the Plan Area

My Benefits | I am Moving Out of the Plan Area

I Am Moving Outside of the Plan Area

A Qualified Life Event - Information and Support for Faculty and Staff

This page provides information on when the change of address is a permanent move in or out of a coverage area. For UNI Blue HMO Plan situations where a covered member will be out of the coverage area for at least 90 days, but will be returning, please apply for a guest membership.

You have 30 days to change your benefits based on this qualified life event.

Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance

You can enroll in coverage or add dependents to your health, dental, or vision insurance within 30 days of moving. You also have the option to change from one plan option to another, or change plans all together. If you do complete a midyear change in plans, any deductible amount or amount towards your maximum out-of-pocket will transfer to your new plan. Coverage will be effective first of the month after the life event. Any other changes to your plan must be made during the open enrollment period. Your health and dental premiums will be deducted using pre-tax dollars, which means premiums will be deducted from your salary prior to taxes being deducted. You may opt-out of this option by submitting the After-Tax Premium Option form.

Spouse/Partner Coverage Comparison

Is your spouse/partner employed? Do they qualify for health, dental and/or vision coverage through their employer? If so, you will want to compare those options to the UNI plans to see what plan works best for you and your family. Coverage area and networks of each of the plans may help you decide based on your recent move.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) – Health Care and Dependent Care

If you choose to enroll in, or change your UNI plan, did you consider signing up for, or adjusting, the flexible spending plans? The health care flexible spending account will use pre-tax dollars to pay for flex eligible expenses from your health, dental, and vision plans. The dependent care FSA will use pre-tax dollars to pay for dependent daycare expenses. If your new health plan has a different co-pay, coinsurance, and deductible amounts, you may want to consider changing your health care amounts. If you have to change the care for a dependent, and the cost is different, you may need to change the amount of your dependent care FSA. You can make changes by logging into Benefits Self-Service. Your deductions will start the first of the month after the election is made.

Voluntary Term Life Insurance (VTL) and Accidental Death & Dismemberment

Review optional VTL coverage. You may increase, decrease, or remove the coverage for yourself, your spouse, or children due to a qualified life event. You can make changes by logging into Benefits Self-Service. Your change will be effective the first of the month after the election is made.

Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services

Many of us can face challenges every day that can be stressful, overwhelming, and cause strong emotions. Visit our Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services webpage for services that may be useful to you and/or your family.


If you need to update your life insurance beneficiaries due to a qualifying life event, please use the Benefits Self-Service System.

For IPERS beneficiaries, please log into the IPERS website to update.

To update your TIAA beneficiaries, please log onto the TIAA website to update.

Documentation Requirements

If you decide to newly enroll into a plan through UNI you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Lease or Rental Agreement or;
  • Mortgage Deed or;
  • U.S.Postal Service Change of Address Confirmation

Additional Personal Information Updates

Have any personal information that needs to be updated such as name, address, and emergency contacts? These can be updated by logging into MyUNIverse and selecting Update My Personal Information.

Benefit Enrollment