Own Your Benefits
Information and Support for Faculty and Staff - Preventive Care
Preventive Care Could Save Your Life
Annual visits to your provider may prevent illness and serious health problems.
Facts on Preventive Care as provided by the CDC:
- Americans use preventive services at about half the recommended rate.
- Chronic Diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes are responsible for 7 out of 10 premature deaths among Americans each year.
- Chronic disease account for 75% of the nation's health spending and can largely be prevented.
- Delta Dental's Preventive Dental Care Study found that more than 25% of children age 18 and under are at a higher risk for tooth decay because these children are not receiving the proper dental care. (i.e. fluoride treatments, sealants, etc.)
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Health Insurance Plans
Preventive exams can screen for diseases or medical risk due to family history. UNI’s self-insured health plans provide coverage for preventive services at no cost to the employee, or dependents, when performed by in-network providers.
Note: Procedures must be considered preventive in order to be exempt from paying your copay, or deductible and coinsurance. If the provider finds something during the exam, and orders tests or labs, there may be a charge associated with the testing as it is not a typical preventive charge and would be considered diagnostic which may result in money owed for the exam.
|Yearly physicals/annual wellness exams||Annual - once per calendar year||All ages|
|Annual OB/GYN exams||Annual - once per calendar year||All ages|
|Well Child exams||Annually after age 3||All ages|
|Immunizations||As recommended by provider||All ages|
|Mammograms (including 3D mammogram)||Annual - once per calendar year||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider|
|Colonoscopy||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider|
Taking your Wellness Assessment on myWellmark®
Start with a quick and easy Wellness Assessment, that gives you a personalized report about the state of your health and real ways you can improve. It only takes about ten minutes to complete.
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Employee Well-being Services
Additional services which are offered outside of the health plans.
- UNI Employee Well-being offers one free confidential biometric screening per academic year. A biometric screening is a quick health assessment that determines your overall health and assesses your risk for medical conditions. The screening is completed at UNI and only takes about 15 minutes to complete. Spouses may participate as well for a low fee of $30.
- Post-biometric screening follow-up with a Nurse Health Coach is provided at no cost. Employees may meet with a Nurse Health Coach and discuss their biometric screening results.
- Employees that learn of a health risk (e.g. high blood pressure) during a biometric screening are eligible for up to 6 sessions at no cost with a Nurse Health Coach to work toward health improvement.
- Free flu shots are also offered to employees each fall. The flu vaccination can reduce flu illnesses, doctors' visits, missed work and school, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.
- Employees whose healthcare providers have recommended weight loss to improve their health are eligible for the Healthy Weight Program, which includes one year of WW Digital Plus Workshops at no cost. In addition, all employees are eligible for a discounted WW membership to assist with achieving and maintaining a healthy weight.
- Employees wanting to quit tobacco use are eligible for free Tobacco Cessation assistance through UNI, including tobacco cessation support with a trained Nurse Health Coach and cessation prescription medications and devices.
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Dental Plan
Dentistry Today discusses the connections between oral health and some common diseases such as diabetes, cancer, stroke and heart disease. Preventive exams can help detect some of these diseases. UNI's dental plan offers two preventive care teeth cleanings per member, per year. These are 100% covered by the plan. Your preventive exam includes coverage for:
- Dental cleaning
- Oral evaluations
- Fluoride applications - once every 12 months for children under age 19
- Space maintainers including re-cementing
If you have certain health conditions you may qualify for additional teeth cleanings and fluoride treatments through the Delta Dental Enhanced Benefits Program.
Free Preventive Services Offered for Vision
If you are covered by a UNI self-insured health plan you, and anyone on your plan, are eligible for one covered routine eye exam, once per calendar year. The in-network exam will be covered with a $15 copay on the UNI Blue Advantage (HMO) plan, and covered at 100% for an in-network exam on the UNI PPO (Alliance Select Plan). For an out-of-network exam on the UNI PPO (Alliance Select) you will be charged 30% coinsurance after your deductible is met. This does not include the purchase of materials such as glasses and contacts.
The CDC states that preventive eye exams are important as they detect early eye diseases that could cause vision loss and blindness. Common eye diseases are:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Age-related macular degeneration
"Gateway to Health Communication & Social Marketing Practice." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 15 Sep. 2017. Web. 13 Jun. 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/phhsblockgrant/index.htm.
"Importance of Oral Health to Overall Health." Academy of General Dentistry. 1996-2008. Web. 18 Jun. 2018. https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/overall_health.html.
"Keep an Eye on Your Vision Health." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4 May 2016. Web. 20 Jun. 2018. https://www.cdc.gov/visionhealth/index.htm