Own Your Benefits
Preventive Care Could Save Your Life
These annual visits to your provider may prevent illness and serious health problems.
Facts on Preventive Care as provided by the CDC:
- Americans use preventive services at about half the recommended rate.
- Chronic Diseases such as heart disease, cancer and diabetes are responsible for 7 out of 10 premature deaths among Americans each year.
- Chronic disease account for 75% of the nation's health spending and can largely be prevented.
- Delta Dental's Preventive Dental Care Study found that more than 25% of children age 18 and under are at a higher risk for tooth decay because these children are not receiving the proper dental care. (i.e. fluoride treatments, sealants, etc.)
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Health Insurance Plans
Preventive exams can screen for diseases or medical risk due to family history. UNI’s health plans provide coverage for preventive services at no cost to the employee, or dependents, when performed by in-network providers.
|Yearly physicals/annual wellness exams||Annual - once per calendar year||All ages|
|Annual OB/GYN exams||Annual - once per calendar year||All ages|
|Well Child exams||Annually after age 3||All ages|
|Immunizations||As recommended by provider||All ages|
|Mammograms||Annual - once per calendar year||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider|
|Colonoscopy||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider||Starting at age 50, or at the recommendation of provider|
UNI's Health Insurance Plans
Approximately 1,667 out of 3,203 members completed a wellness visit in 2017.*
Taking your Wellness Assessment on myWellmark®
Start with a quick and easy Wellness Assessment, that gives you a personalized report about the state of your health and real ways you can improve. It only takes about ten minutes to complete.
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Employee Well-being Services
Two additional services are offered outside of the health plan.
- UNI Employee Well-being offers FREE confidential biometric screenings to employees. A biometric screening is a quick health assessment that determines your overall health and assesses your risk for medical conditions. The screening completed at UNI is often more comprehensive than those conducted at a physician's office and only takes about 15 minutes to complete. Spouses may participate as well for a low fee of $30.
- Free flu shots are also offered to employees each fall. The flu vaccination can reduce flu illnesses, doctors' visits, missed work and school, as well as prevent flu-related hospitalizations.
Free Preventive Services Offered by UNI's Dental Plan
Dentistry Today discusses the connections between oral health and some common diseases such as diabetes, cancer, stroke and heart disease. Preventive exams can help detect some of these diseases. UNI's dental plan offers two preventive care teeth cleanings per member, per year. These are 100% covered by the plan. Your preventive exam includes coverage for:
- Dental cleaning
- Oral evaluations
- Fluoride applications - once every 12 months for children under age 19
- Space maintainers including re-cementing
If you have certain health conditions you may qualify for additional teeth cleanings and fluoride treatments through the Delta Dental Enhanced Benefits Program.
UNI's Dental Plan
- 26.95% of claims paid in 2017 were for preventive services, this is a decrease from 27.69% in 2016.*
- Out of 3,508 members, only 3,031 utilized the plan in 2017.*
Free Preventive Services Offered for Vision
If you are a member of UNI’s Health Plans you receive a covered preventive vision exam each calendar year. This does not include the purchase of materials such as glasses and contacts.
The CDC states that preventive eye exams are important as they detect early eye diseases that could cause vision loss and blindness. Common eye diseases are:
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Age-related macular degeneration
912 out of 3,203 members enrolled in UNI health plans received their annual preventive eye exam in 2017.*
"Gateway to Health Communication & Social Marketing Practice." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, U.S. Department of Health & Human Services, 15 Sep. 2017. Web. 13 Jun. 2018. www.cdc.gov/healthcommunication/toolstemplates/entertainmented/tips/Prev....
"Importance of Oral Health to Overall Health." Academy of General Dentistry. 1996-2008. Web. 18 Jun. 2018. https://www.deltadentalins.com/oral_health/overall_health.html
"Keep an Eye on Your Vision Health." Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 4 May 2016. Web. 20 Jun. 2018. www.cdc.gov/features/healthyvision/index.html