Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us

I Am Getting Divorced

I Am Getting Divorced/Dissolving My Domestic Partnership

A Qualified Life Event - Information and Support for Faculty and Staff

A divorce and dissolution of a union allows you to make changes to your insurance plans as it is a qualified life event.

Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance

You can enroll in coverage or remove dependents to your health, dental, or vision insurance within 30 days of getting a divorce. You also have the option to change from one plan option to another, or change plans all together. If you do complete a midyear change in plans, any deductible amount or amount towards your maximum out-of-pocket will transfer to your new plan. Coverage will be effective the first of the month after the divorce is finalized. Any other changes to your plan must be made during the open enrollment period.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) – Health Care and Dependent Care

You can change your contributions or enroll in an FSA due to a qualifying life event. Your deductions will start the month after the election is made and you are eligible to use health care FSA contributions as of the effective date of coverage. You are able to use dependent care contributions as they accrue.

Voluntary Term Life (VTL) Insurance

Eligible employees can elect/increase/decrease or de-enroll from voluntary term life for themselves, their spouse or their children due to divorce. The premium for VTL includes accidental death and dismemberment insurance and can be calculated for each coverage amount by viewing page four of the Group Voluntary Term Life Coverage document.

Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services

Many of us can face challenges every day that can be stressful, overwhelming, and cause strong emotions. Visit our Stress, Mental Health, and Grief Services webpage for services that may be useful to you and/or your family.


  • If you need to update your life insurance beneficiaries due to a qualifying life event, please use the Benefits Self-Service System.
  • For IPERS beneficiaries, please log into the IPERS website to update.
  • To update your TIAA beneficiaries, please log onto the TIAA website to update.


If you decide to enroll into a plan, or add a dependent, through UNI you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Divorce of separation decree, or
  • Legal separation agreement, or
  • Dissolution of Domestic Partnership

Name Change

A divorce may mean a change in name. Legal name changes must be made in person by visiting Human Resource Services. For privacy protection, a photo ID will be requested before a change will be made.

Address Change

To change your address please log into MyUNIverse and click on ‘Update My Personal Information’. Locate the address tab at the top.

Tax Information

You may also need to update your tax information. This can be done by logging into eBusiness Suite and selecting W-4 Form Employee Withholding Allowances through eBusiness Suite UNI Employee Self-Service.

Benefit Enrollment

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1Q: How long can my spouse stay on my plan after the divorce?

    1A: Coverage will end on the last day of the month that is listed on the divorce decree/dissolution affidavit.

  2. 2Q: Can I keep my stepchildren on my plan?

    2A: The employee must be the dependents legal guardian to continue covering them on the university health plans.

Jump to Top