Human Resource Services

Home | Jobs@UNI | My Benefits | Forms | About Us
  • My Benefits | I am Having a Baby

My Benefits | I am Having a Baby

I Am Having a Baby

A Qualified Life Event - Information and Support for Faculty and Staff

Having a baby allows you to make changes to your insurance plans as it is a qualified life event.

Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA)

  • Contact Information for Leaves & Accommodations

    Melissa Ward
    Leave & Accommodation Coordinator
    (319) 273-6164

The Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA) was passed by Congress and went into effect on August 5, 1993. The FMLA provides up to 12 weeks of unpaid, job-protected leave per year to eligible employees for certain personal and family medical reasons.

Health, Dental, and Vision Insurance

You can enroll in coverage or add dependents to your health, dental, or vision insurance within 60 days of having a baby. You also have the option to change from one plan option to another, or change plans all together. If you do complete a midyear change in plans, any deductible amount or amount towards your maximum out-of-pocket will transfer to your new plan. Coverage will be effective the date in which the baby is born. If making a plan change or enrolling for the first time, the coverage for the employee and any other covered family members will retro date back to the first of the month in which the baby was born. Any other changes to your plan must be made during the open enrollment period.

Pregnancy Support

For pregnant women covered on one of UNI's health insurance plans, Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield offers a free Pregnancy Support Program. Among the services offered is one-on-one support from an Advanced Care Nurse that is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

800-552-39930 ext. 3727 to request a call from an Advanced Care Nurse.

Additional Free Teeth Cleaning

Pregnant women on UNI's dental plan are eligible for one additional free teeth cleaning through Delta Dental’s Enhanced Benefits. An additional teeth cleaning provides benefits to both the baby and the mother.

Preventive Eye Exam

Vision changes are common when pregnant, please remember that if you are covered on one of UNI’s health insurance plans that you receive one covered eye exam per calendar year.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA) – Health Care and Dependent Care

You can change or enroll in an FSA due to a qualifying life event. Your deductions will start the month after the election is made but you are able to submit for reimbursement for claims from the date the baby was born.

Voluntary Term Life (VTL) Insurance

Eligible employees can elect/increase/decrease or de-enroll from voluntary term life for themselves, their spouse or their children due to the birth of a child. The premium for VTL includes accidental death and dismemberment insurance and can be calculated for each coverage amount by viewing page four of the Group Voluntary Term Life Coverage document. If elected, coverage for the baby will begin the day they are born.


If you need to update your life insurance beneficiaries due to a qualifying life event, please use the Benefits Self-Service System.

For IPERS beneficiaries, please log into the IPERS website to update.

To update your TIAA beneficiaries, please log onto the TIAA website to update.


If you decide to enroll into a plan, or add a dependent, through UNI you will need to provide the following documentation:

  • Birth Certificate which includes parents names
  • Social Security Number

If the recorded birth certificate is not available within 30 days after the birth, a copy of an official birth record (such as a hospital release form that lists the mother's and child's names) would be accepted.

Paid Time Off

Sick Leave

Faculty and staff may use accrued sick leave for the medically necessary period immediately following the birth of a child (typically 6-8 weeks). This time should be recorded sick leave on the employee's monthly timecard.


Staff members may use vacation to remain in paid status due to leave for the birth of a child. Faculty members do not accrue vacation.

Tax Information

You may also need to update your tax information. This can be done by logging into eBusiness Suite and selecting W-4 Form Employee Withholding Allowances through eBusiness Suite UNI Employee Self-Service.

UNI Employee Benefits Self-Service

Benefits Self-Service System is designed to help you enroll, make changes, and view your current benefit elections all in one location. For additional support, visit the Benefits Self-Service Help site.

Frequently Asked Questions

  1. 1Q: If I am not currently covering anyone else on my health insurance, can I add them at this time?

    Having a baby allows you to make changes to your insurance plans as it is a qualified life event. The baby's coverage will start on the date of birth, anyone else being added to the plan will have their coverage start the first of the month that the baby is born.

  2. 2Q: What if I don’t have the baby’s birth certificate or Social Security Number (SSN), can I still submit my requests in Benefits Self-Service?

    Yes, however, we will not send any information to our insurance vendors until we have seen the birth certificate and have a SSN to submit.

Jump to Top